[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2184: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2184: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Support Incident Tracker Forum • View topic - Visual Wallboard / Dashboard

Visual Wallboard / Dashboard

Discuss and get help with plugins. Share your ideas for future SiT! features.

Visual Wallboard / Dashboard

Postby jhottinger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am

Hi All,

Has anyone made a visual wallboard yet for SiT ?

i have a large monitor which is going on the wall. I want to display things like:

side by side...
-total incidents open (big bold title and number)
-total currently exceeding SLA (big bold title and number)
below totals...
-totals assigned to engineer (listed)
-and the last 5 logged incidents (listed)

literally only those details on a local hosted web page (PHP) in kiosk mode filling all 50" of the screen for the whole office to see.

i find the standard dashboard is too small and too much detail for something like what i am after having the running details on the wall.

i've attached an image of how i imagine it to be layed out.
WALLBOARD_IDEA.jpg
My idea
WALLBOARD_IDEA.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 6929 times

anyone got any ideas on a simple way of doing something like this? or am i just being unrealistic? LOL :D

cheers
James
James Hottinger
Lynx Networks
www.lynxnetworks.co.uk

Support Incident Tracker v3.66 running on Microsoft-IIS/7.0
External Support for 69 Customers over 52 Sites.
jhottinger
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Visual Wallboard / Dashboard

Postby Tomse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello there and welcome.

I would say it's fairly easy to make a such.

a simple plugin, or even a page that pulls data directly from the db server.

Since I don't know your coding skills, I'll just make a sum up of what you need.

a couple of queries for the different jobs you want presented.
and of course the code to present the page. If you don't add the page as a plugin, but just include the config.inc.php file (this contains the variables for the database) (and optionally add lib/strings.inc.php details of why can be discussed later)

make the page refresh every minute (or whatever you desire)

you can either hardcode the sizes, or make a small stylesheet.

open the page in a webbrowser, press the F11 to show in fullscreen.. and violla :-)

it's simple enough if you know how to code PHP (or even ASP since you're ruinning on IIS)

the idea is good.

and the code is very simple.
If you have a problem, give us enough info of what you have done, what is configured in relation to your question.
Enable debugging and post it's censored but relevant info. Don't forget to write which version of SiT you're running.
Tomse
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Postby jhottinger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Tomse,

Thanks for your reply.

my coding skills are very basic. Im more clued up on HTML than the PHP / MySQL side of things.

OK. What i'll do is give it my best shot, then upload my progress in this thread with the relevant files to get everyone's thoughts / input.

will make the files available to all when 100% working.

Thanks
James
James Hottinger
Lynx Networks
www.lynxnetworks.co.uk

jhottinger
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Postby ivanlucas » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi James,

Funnily enough this feature existed in SiT! a long long long time ago, I have a feeling it only ever worked properly in Internet Explorer 5 so that kinda shows how long ago it was, and perhaps goes some way to explaining why we dumped the feature.

I'd love to see something like it come back, a plugin sounds a great idea as Tomse has said. I have zilch time for this right now, but if nobody takes it up, maybe I'll have a think some day.

Anybody reading this with coding skills, please have a think about creating this, writing plugins is really easy and if you pop into IRC any time we'd be happy to help you get started.

Cheers,

Ivan
Ivan Lucas, Project Lead, Support Incident Tracker (SiT!) GPL. ......... Chat live on irc, #sit on freenode.
Help free software: Make a donation to the SiT! project or Join the Free Software Foundation as an Associate Member.
ivanlucas
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Postby jhottinger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi All,

i have attached a copy of what i have so far, currently it is only the layout really.

might need some expert advice on the mysql query behind it all though :D

wallboard.zip
index.html, layout.css, normalize.css
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

cheers
James
James Hottinger
Lynx Networks
www.lynxnetworks.co.uk

jhottinger
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Postby ivanlucas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi,

I've moved this topic over to the Plugins forum since it's more relevant there. I think the work you've done so far on this is great, really inspiring! I'm gonna try my hardest to find some time to turn this into a plugin if nobody else beats me to it.

Cheers,

Ivan
Ivan Lucas, Project Lead, Support Incident Tracker (SiT!) GPL. ......... Chat live on irc, #sit on freenode.
Help free software: Make a donation to the SiT! project or Join the Free Software Foundation as an Associate Member.
ivanlucas
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Postby jhottinger » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi all,

Thanks Ivan for shifting it over to the right forum.

OK, made a small bit of progress. I have attached a copy of what I have so far, hoping someone can take what I have done now and develop it some more. This is about the limit of my basic PHP and MySQL knowledge goes :(

some javascript AJAX function needs to be written too, to go fetch the updated data. I don't know where to start for that.
maybe make it display better? fonts / colours / borders etc...
was also thinking maybe a scrolling text bar along the bottom to display RSS feeds?
warning noise when Exceeded SLA number increases? and a harmonious dong when it reduces? :D
also maybe 2 other blocks similar to Currently Open / Exceeded SLA to display "Opened TODAY" and "Closed TODAY"

calling upon anyone with better coding skills than myself to download the files I have made and tidy / develop and add anything they think would be beneficial to a Wallboard

Here are the files -
Wallboard_20_09_12.zip
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Cheers
James
James Hottinger
Lynx Networks
www.lynxnetworks.co.uk

jhottinger
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Postby ivanlucas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi James,

I've added your code to SVN so that we can continue to work on it from there.

https://sitracker.svn.sourceforge.net/s ... /wallboard

I've wrapped it in basic plugin framework but I've no time to work on it today unfortunately. I'll try and find time at weekend if I can.

To get SVN access see this, and then send me an email with your sourceforge username.

http://sitracker.org/wiki/DevelopmentHowTo

Cheers,

Ivan
ivanlucas
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Postby jhottinger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Afternoon all,

Long time no post! :)

I've managed to get something working which you may all be interested in, also you may want to modify it to make it a little better looking etc. (my coding is not the best!!)

I have attached to zip file the files required, just put them in your wwwroot and modify the neccessary in wallboard.php

Thanks
James
Attachments
Wallboard.zip
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
James Hottinger
Lynx Networks
www.lynxnetworks.co.uk

jhottinger
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Postby browles » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am

jhottinger wrote:I have attached to zip file the files required, just put them in your wwwroot and modify the neccessary in wallboard.php

Hi, I'm looking at using this wallboard in our office. I uploaded the files and was able to access the wallboard no problem, but it showed a login error in the bottom right pane. I modified the .php to include the database password and update the Engineer names, but it doesn't show any information at all, just the headings and the Engineer names I entered.

The database name and username is already correct, but is there something else I should be changing?
browles
SiT! Fan
SiT! Fan

Next

Return to Plugins & Extending SiT!