[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2184: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2184: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Support Incident Tracker Forum • View topic - Backwards Compatibility Between 3.67p2 and 4.x

Backwards Compatibility Between 3.67p2 and 4.x

Discuss and get help with plugins. Share your ideas for future SiT! features.

Backwards Compatibility Between 3.67p2 and 4.x

Postby lkarisny » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Hello,

We've made considerable changes to the 3.67p2 code base along the lines of integrating some of our work processes. Namely, we've added a forms system, an emailer for knowledge base articles and a system for tasks to be viewed from the portal. We have about 40 different revisions in all to the 3.67p2 code base and are wondering how this will affect us when the 4.x version of the SiT product is released.

I do know there is a version 3.90beta1 available as an 'unstable' release - and I certainly could begin to work on patching these changes over into the 3.90beta1 codebase. However, if and when I make these changes will I have to make them again for the 4.0 version. What I'm wondering is should I begin patching now with the version 3.9 beta or should I wait until 4.0 is released?

My biggest concern is in having the latest security fixes in place.

Thank you,
Lucas
lkarisny
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Backwards Compatibility Between 3.67p2 and 4.x

Postby Tomse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:30 pm

the 3.90 is a pre-4.0 release, We want to release this new version, which has been delayed for years now, earlier than the original milestone. This is why it's called 3.90 rather than 4.0.

Since 3.90 is still beta there'll still be some changes/bugfixes, but the list of changes for the release is diminishing as we come closer to a more stable and bug free product.

Though in general it's never a good idea to change the base of SiT itself due to these changes needs implementing when a new version is released. I can on the other hand recommend that you try implementing your changes as a single or multiple plugins instead.

If there are places inside the code where you feel lacks plugin hooks, please feel free to report them in mantis, I can't promise the will get implemented in 3.90 but chances are fairly good as they're easily added.

When first plugin hooks are implemented they aren't likely to be changed / renamed (this has only happend from 3.6x to 3.9 to make the naming less "random")

I'll gladly assist you in introducing you into the plugins system
If you have a problem, give us enough info of what you have done, what is configured in relation to your question.
Enable debugging and post it's censored but relevant info. Don't forget to write which version of SiT you're running.
Tomse
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Postby lkarisny » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Thank you, I wasn't aware there was a plugin system. All of our 3.67p2 code base changes have been maintained through hard-coded changes. I imagine the transition would be quite an undertaking, but in the interest of staying with your product (as we have over 300 logged incidents and nearly as many customers) it would behoove us to make the investment.

We have considered submitting our current code-base to you along with changelog. We haven't been using a revision system so I could either prepare a diff from the base 3.67p2 code or send you over a copy of our latest version (with individual update files and short descriptions of each update).

I've been working with SiT programming for about a year now and I still find new things to learn.
lkarisny
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Tomse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm

if you have code changes/patches you should add that to mantis, our bug tracker.

and if you haven't read our documentation for developing, I can highly recommend that you do so:
http://sitracker.org/wiki/Category:Chapter_6
http://sitracker.org/wiki/DevelopmentHowTo

cheers
If you have a problem, give us enough info of what you have done, what is configured in relation to your question.
Enable debugging and post it's censored but relevant info. Don't forget to write which version of SiT you're running.
Tomse
SiT! Developer
SiT! Developer

Return to Plugins & Extending SiT!